Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Words, Wonderful Words

I just finished reading a book of short stories my friend Leah lent me, and I absolutely loved it! It is called Read This and Tell Me What It Says by A. Manette Ansay. There are so many stories that strike a chord with me, and it only makes sense considering they all are supposed to take place in the midwest, hence she was awarded the Great Lakes Book Award.

Here is an excerpt that I found especially wonderful:

The sun began rising; one bloody knuckle peeked over the horizon and the flooded fields took up the color until the land around the house burned wild fire...The south edge of the lawn is still under water, and the fields reflect the sacred underbellies of the apple trees, the harsh coin of the sun rippling between them. A few straggly rows of corn grip the high ground, but for the most part the crop is gone, the season's seed lost to the sky.

Though the language is simple, it is beautiful, and that is what I love so much about writing. The beauty that can be conveyed simply through a few simple, choice words is something that I hope to be able to embody, and help others to do when I become a book editor. Words truly are powerful, though unfortunately their power is lost on most. How sad.

No comments: